Monday, April 12, 2010

YumYum Give Me Some: Mission Beach Cafe

I'm not quite sure that I would call Mission Beach Cafe a cheap spot, but it's definitely a moderately priced place that's worth every penny -- the food is amazing and the atmosphere is well worth what you pay.

I went to MBC a few weeks ago with a friend. As with any decent brunch place, MBC was packed given that it was 1pm, but as soon as we walked in, Jason, the host, tried to squeeze us in since we were a party of 2. We got our drinks while we waited (all of 5 or 10 minutes), and I was not disappointed by the tangerine-pomegranate mimosa I ordered -- it's half a bottle of champagne, so be warned, do not order the large if you're driving!

The drinks were only the beginning of our brunch adventure. To start we had the veggie quiche, which was properly proportioned for $3, tasted great (probably the 2nd best quiche I've had in the city -- Butler & the Chef has the number 1 the Salmon quiche is divine), and got us excited for the rest of our meal. We then had the biscuits with pumpkin sauce -- a bit sweeter than I imagined, but I've never had anything like it. To round out our starters, we also got a pancake with fruit compote, which was one of the few distinctive pancakes I've had out to eat, fluffy but firm, not too salty but not too bland -- just right.

For our entrees, I had the Dungress crab Benedict with red and yellow peppers. This is the dish that won me over Completely. Basso's, which isn't too far from MBC, has a great crab cake Benedict, but it's nothing like this. The flavors of the sweet peppers with some of the best hollandaise sauce I've had in San Francisco -- not too much lemon, with just the right flavor to make the eggs and crab taste like heaven.

I didn't try my friend's huevos ranchero's (I don't eat pork), but from his gallant attempt at finishing his meal after our many starters, I know he wasn't disappointed.

The best part about every dish was that nothing tasted over spiced; everything we ordered had a very fresh-flavorful quality.We left full and happy. We had great service. It was a great atmosphere. And the food was just lovely. This may be my favorite brunch experience, it's well worth the trip to the Mission :)

All the Info:
198 Guerrero St
(between Brosnan St & 14th St)
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 861-0198

No comments:

Post a Comment