Thursday, April 22, 2010

On My Mind: The Ethnic Brunch Spot

I've come across many French(ish) places that do brunch. Er, I should say I've come across a lot that bill themselves as French somewhere on their literature or use French glyphs on their menu (see the menus for Bistro Bistro and Panam in yesterday's post), but their offerings usually don't count as "ethnic" or even particularly "French" to most. Throwing a crepe (ahem, "crêpe") or quiche onto a menu doesn't exactly make an otherwise American/contemporary/western fusion restaurant scream FRENCH, but no one wants to say "we serve generic Americanized contemporary dishes from a variety of origins." Or even worse, "we serve a lot of English and German fare with a side of crêpes."


I'm on a tangent here, but what I'm trying to get at is the fact that you don't find too many really ethnic/regional fare being served up for brunch. At least if you're not looking for them. And if you're not counting Dim Sum, which I don't (I'll get to that another day). Will actually list some out tomorrow, but am very excited to have stumbled across a South Indian, Japanese and Mexican restaurants that serve  brunch.


Mimosas, Bloody Marys and all.


Very excited to do some research on this. Very excited the weekend will soon be here. Brunch is calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment