Monday, April 5, 2010

The Butler & the Chef: Worth the Trip

I've now had the salmon Benedict at Butler & the Chef twice. Why? It's worth coming back for.

The food at Butler &The Chef is worth venturing to the small Soma neighborhood of South Park. Some people, including myself, have had a few hiccups with the service (an entire meal without water? Not okay) and the physical space of the restaurant -- cramped does not equate to "Parisian" quaint for me -- but the food, oh my, the food.
The first time I found myself at tB&tC, the line was so long that my friend and I wound up taking a table in the cold (~40F, not really outdoor seating weather) because there was a 40 minute wait for a table. I had the vegetarian soup of the day to start, which was delightful while it was warm, but unfortunately didn't stay hot for long in the cold. I also ordered a latte, which is served in a huge glass, so I wound up exchanging it for a cup of coffee (I tried to ask the milk/espresso ratio was in the latte and if I could have a small and the waitress just said "ok" and brought out what was basically just lightly flavored steamed milk).

Once my salmon Benedict on olive loaf came, I didn't care that I was outside or that I didn't have a latte. The eggs were poached perfectly. The hollandaise, slightly tart, was balanced perfectly by the olive loaf and the salmon (not sure how well it would go on the other Benedict options).

On my second visit with another friend, he got the quiche of the day. Definitely the best quiche I've had. So fluffy. So light. The salmon perfect. I had stuck with what I know (awful pun time) since I'm a "Ben-addict" (ha, sorry), and his quiche almost had me ordering a second entree.

The vegetarian split pea soup was even better than the vegetarian soup option the week before. The soup was so delicious, that I was able to overlook the waitress forgetting my soup. And my water. And mistaking my hot chocolate for a mocha.

This place is worth visiting for the food; everything is mouthwatering and nothing edible has disappointed. Just don't have the highest of hopes for the service and you'll be sure to get your money's worth. Speaking of money, it's not terribly expensive, but it's not cheap either. It's a nicer than middle of the road place that you could definitely impress a date with... just try and grab a less than cramped table :)


All the Info:

155A South Park St
San Francisco, CA 94107
(415) 896-2075
Find it on Yelp:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-butler-and-the-chef-bistro-san-francisco

No comments:

Post a Comment