Sunday, April 11, 2010

Rain Check: The $20 Homemade Brunch

My designated brunch buddy this weekend decided he didn't want to brave the rain, and I have to admit that I didn't blame him. When it's gray and foggy out in San Francisco that's bad enough, but when it's actually raining it's hard to motivate yourself to get out of bed. I was sold on the idea of going in for brunch, knowing that there was a bottle of Moet in his cabinet for mimosas. Given that brunch alone is no brunch at all, I was more than sold on having brunch at home. Although I never really have the urge to have carb-orientated entrees when I go out, today seemed like the perfect day for homemade french toast, a veggie/goat cheese egg scramble, and course mimosas. An ambitious, but achievable menu (recipes below).

I have a secret. I am not a horrible cook. Despite the amount of money I spend eating out (brunch, specifically), I actually know my way around the kitchen well enough to make a meal. My brunch buddy, Ja, is more adept than me -- he is more of a "chef" than "not horrible" like me. He likes to make food even if he's the only one eating it, following recipes, and trimming artichokes just to learn how. Being "not horrible" isn't really a dirty secret, but I think the dirty secret is that I actually like to cook when I'm cooking with purpose. Between work and life, cooking seems like such a hassle unless you're cooking for *something,* you know? A holiday, a dinner party, your family, your significant other after a fight. It always feels like you need reason. A rainy day brunch is officially a great reason. Why? Because if there are mimosas involved, it's a great reason. Not to mention, making brunch at home is way cheaper than going out to brunch. And I mean way cheaper.  I picked up groceries (in the rain) for about $20 that made a great brunch. Eating in is more effort, but a great alternative to eating out and still having an excuse to drink champagne at noon.

The Menu:

Veggie Scramble
4 Eggs
Splash of Whole Milk
1/4-1/4 Red Onion (Large)
1/2 Green Pepper (Large)
3 White Mushrooms
Goat Cheese
1 Roma Tomato
Half Ripe Avocado
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

1.) Chop your all the veggies
I like to dice mine, but to each their own.
2) Sauté Onion, Pepper, and Mushrooms in a bit of olive oil
3) While veggies are still cooking (works best with 2 people), whisk eggs and milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4) Once veggies are done sautéing, add them to eggs. Scramble eggs on low/medium heat
5) Once eggs are "set" (i.e., solid but still "wet" looking) add goat cheese to taste, then add diced tomato.
6) once eggs are done, top with diced avocado

Easy French Toast
1 Cup Milk
2 Eggs
Dash of Cinnamon
~Tablespoon of Sugar
French Bread Loaf
Corn Oil

1) Whisk Mlk, Eggs, Cinnamon and Sugar together
2) Slice French Bread
3) High skillet/griddle to medium heat and add corn oil as needed
4) dip bread slices into egg mix (soak crust for a few extra minutes to soften)
4) Fry on each side until done.
Use Leftover french bread to make some toast on the griddle to go with the eggs for an added plus.

Mimosas
3 parts Champagne
1 Part Orange Juice
Put in glass. Drink.

Voila! For $20 (not including champagne) and a little bit of kitchen time, you can have a luxurious brunch without leaving your house. And still have mimosas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment