Thursday, April 8, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner: Not Brunch

Although yesterday I did indeed include Darla's, a "breakfast all day" joint, on a list of bottomless brunch cocktail places, I wanted to clarify something. Breakfast for dinner, or "Binner" as some people have affectionately dubbed it, is not brunch. Even if you get drunk.

I'm not hating on breakfast for dinner, I actually love breakfast food anytime of day. However, eating breakfast for dinner is eating breakfast foods during dinner. Breakfast for dinner does not play with our cultural concept of "meals" nor does provide any impetus to observe the generations old tradition of sitting around on from morning through the afternoon drinking citrus based cocktails and eating a combination of both breakfast AND lunch inspired foods. My brunch foods consumption generally falls on the breakfast food side of brunch offerings, but damned if I'll say no to a shrimp cocktail at 11am on a Sunday.

What about brunch on a weekday? I have yet to brunch on Monday-Friday, but holidays regardless of what day of the week they fall, qualify as brunch days for me. I am curious if brunch would be as delectable on a Tuesday as it is on Saturday or Sunday. Maybe I should try it out...


UPDATE: I stand corrected, it's "brinner" not "binner." Whatever it is, it's not brunch :)

1 comment: