Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Long Time, No Brunch.

Oh, hello there. It has been awhile, hasn't?

With good reason I've been MIA on the blog, though I've been much better about adding musings and observations to my Twitter (@brunchblog). I was in Zurich, Switzerland for a bit, which is a land where brunch isn't a tradition (though it's starting a scene). Was in Seattle, where I did indeed brunch my heart out, but didn't have a reliable internet connection.

But excuses aside, where have I been in the last month? Some highlights:
15 Romolo Poached Egg Over Duck Hash


15 Romolo Waffle Shot & Bloody Hammer

I've indulged in a Punch Drunk Brunch at 15 Romolo. A longtime favorite watering hole, it's now a favorite brunch spot too. They have a fantastic bar bites menu available every day, and their weekend brunch menu is just as well done. All dishes are bigger than small bites and cost $8-$9 -- one dish makes a meal, but you can have a giant feast for the same price as a single entry anywhere else.


I dived even further into the bar brunch scene at Dear Mom, where a cash-only snafu aside, I had the perfect hangover remedy brunch. I'm pretty sure there was Kraft cheese singles on my breakfast burrito, but it was strangely perfect. I wouldn't take a date, but if you're a hardcore hipster, you'll win cool points coming here on the weekend.

I've also enjoyed the finer things in life at Serpentine, the Dogpatch delight that never disappoints. Between reasonable prices and a well honed menu, it's hard not to leave with a smile on your face. 



Dungeness Crab Benedict
While they don't have the world's greatest dungeness crab benedict, but it's pretty damn good for less than $15. Slightly blander than you expect, the hollandaise doesn't do well competing with the buttery biscuit at the base of the benedict. While the fried lemon rind on top doesn't really do much for flavor, when it comes to presentation it's incredibly pleasing to see with the friend capers.

Banana Pineapple Pancake
Serpentine's pancakes on the other hand, actually can claim to be some of the best in San Francisco. If you leave without sharing a $5 banana walnut pancake as an appetizer or dessert, we're not friends.

The breakfast sandwich my friend had was also one of the better in the city -- so simple, yet so delicious.

And the most unexpectedly delightful dish was the biscuits & gravy -- Serpentine isn't a southern joint, but they do it justice.
Serpentine Biscuits & Gravy
Those were just a few highlights, I'll try to catch up a bit more this week... Having not been to brunch in two weeks (come the weekend, at least), I'm starting to suffer from withdrawal symptoms.

Restaurant Info:
15 Romolo
15 Romolo Place, San Francisco, CA 94133
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday, 11am-3pm

2700 16th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
Brunch: Sunday, 11am-5pm

2495 3rd Street  San Francisco, CA 94107
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10am - 2:30pm

2 comments:

  1. Those biscuits and gravy look unholy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't promise they won't kill you, but at least you'll die happy.

      Delete