Tuesday, December 20, 2011

After Bites: An Addendum to First Dates

A great point was made in the comments of yesterday's post Brunch Etiquette: A First Date Favorite that I felt I needed to address:
"...But we all knew that already right? Dinner isn't a first date thing but maybe a second date thing. It takes the pressure off of both parties. What differentiates brunch from say coffee or lunch or breakfast? Is there a scale of casualness?"
Well I disagree that most people don't think of dinner as a first date go-to plan -- it's expected and it's after work. It's the traditional format. Here is my break down:
  • Coffee = I'm not that interested or I assume you're not that interested thus want to pass this off as a friendly non-date situation
  • Lunch = I'm not that interested
  • Cocktails = I'm interested but not enough to buy you dinner
  • Dinner = I'm actually interested
  • Breakfast = The date was last night
Brunch doesn't hold the same level of casual convenience as a coffee or lunch, it's more of a commitment than cocktails, we've already covered dinner, and who the hell takes a first date out to breakfast? Unless you're living in a romantic comedy dating someone who's job/kids/elderly dog makes having a personal life so impossible that breakfast is the only time of day they can go on a date, breakfast is more of a morning after situation.

Brunch is the feel good, but still recognizably a date option. It's not going the adventurous route of say, rock climbing, or the overly romantic route of a picnic on the beach, but it's the perfect setting to determine whether you want to have a second date.

4 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I use to love having rock climbing as a first date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jacob R. yes, but oddly enough you're not alone. Who wants to sweat on a first date?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the greatest thing about climbing. You can sweat as much as your want/willing to and the environment is usually quiet enough to get some talk in. It's basically first date team building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree with rock climbing. I still don't think dinner's a great first date option since as you said there's a lot of pressure.

    ReplyDelete